Friday, October 24, 2014

Celebrating our First Stories

A few weeks ago we had our first writing celebration!  It was a lot of fun but kind of rushed with everything else we had going on!  Here's what we did to prepare:

Day 1: We talked about what a story that we would be proud of would look like.  We came up with some ideas and I made a poster to remind us.  Modeling is KEY!  So, I looked through all my old stories that I'd written in mini-lessons and selected one I was most proud of.  Then it was the kids turn.  They looked through ALL of our old writing pieces {I collect them all each day the first quarter of school until the kids are ready for folders}.  Then the kids selected ONE story they felt they were most proud of.  I collected it.


Day 2: I modeled how to come up with a title for the stories.  The kids got their stories back and a cover page.  They came up with titles and illustrated their covers.


Day 3:  I modeled how to re-copy my story by fixing sight words that may be spelled wrong and adding some more details where possible.  I passed back the stories the kids had chosen and they did the same.  My interactive word wall is great for Writing time!


Day 4:  I modeled filling out a rubric for my story.  And....you guessed it!  It was the kids' turn.  We celebrated with donuts and milk.  We also had a rotation where the kids went table to table looking at others' stories and complimenting them.  I hung the pieces on my board for everyone to see!  I'm so proud of how my writers are doing!  Great strides in these first 9 weeks!!





If you are interested in starting or improving your Writing Workshop, I have LOTS of goodies in my store for Writing!  Just click HERE to take a peek.  If you'd like a year's worth of Writing Workshop lessons, printables, and posters, you can snag the bundle for a discounted rate below.  Happy Friday!



xo
Megan 

1 comments:

Amy B said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love the idea of celebrating! I also like how you let the kids share each day and the kids give the writer compliments! :)

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!