Saturday, February 13, 2016

President's Day

Man, is February jam-packed or WHAT!?  So many holidays and a short month, too!  Today I have a few President's Day ideas that I do each year.  This is going to mostly be photos because I am getting ready to enjoy my weekend!

1.  Graphic Organizers-these get us thinking about both men and activating our schema.


2.  Brain Pop Jr.-a fantastic, paid site with short videos about all kinds of things.  They have both Washington and Lincoln on there and I show them to my class each year.


2.  Browsing books about President's Day, Lincoln, and Washington-The kids LOVE looking through thge "Biographies" bin in our classroom library and finding books about these men to read during quiet reading time!



4.  After our unit of study, we wrap up with some writing.  We also do Washington and Lincoln {not pictured} crafts.




5.  Comparing and Contrasting-Also as a review, we compare and contrast both Washington and Lincoln.

6.  Looking through pictures of prior presidents-the kids LOVE these cards.  I found them at the Dollar Spot at Target many years ago.


7.  Assembling and reading a book about Presidents Day-mini-books are great ways to get grade-appropriate information to your young readers!  This is in my "Hooray for President's Day pack" but you can also find it as a separate purchase HERE.  I will tell you the pack is a better value right now because it's on SALE THROUGH MONDAY!


8.  Making connections with President's Day centers-The week after we've learned about an important person, people, or event, I like to use thematic centers as a review.








Enjoy your 3-day weekend!
xo
Megan

1 comments:

A. Reed said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

What fabulous learning your kiddos are doing, Megan! I desperately want a Brain Pop, Jr. subscription for my room!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!